This term does not correspond exactly to the Portuguese concept of 'Pelourinho', but it was the closest that could be found.
Although it was also used in the punishment of crimes, is was essentially the landmark that was granted by the statute of Parish. Special news and annoucements from the king were made there.
This monument was erect around 1518, after the creation of the county and was located opposite the Old City Hall in the village square. It was composed of four stone steps all around except for a party that was replaced by the land itself, a granite column Canfre, based on a block with his closed helm pyramid and four irons forming a cross from which hung rings.
In the past, in times of ignorance and savagery, many pillories were destroyed and our's was not an exception. The stones were taken to diferent masonry works and the column was taken to the cemetery to served as a lintel gate .(..........)
(.....) About this pillory, traditional stories are told that the inhabitants of a neighbouring village were not happy about the achievment of this status, so they threatened to destroy the landmark. Our people then surrounded it with bushes, and armed men remained stationed around it throughout the night. Only at the singing of the roosters they would go to rest. This is why our people has been nicknaned 'galaritos' , and presently 'galitos' ( wich is a small kind of rooster ).
Source: Cardigos - Subsidies for its history
Author: Padre Henrique da Silva Louro (Pracana da Ribeira)